Camp is just a few months away, and with that comes one of the best things about camp: making new friends and seeing old ones! And what better gift to give a friend than a friendship bracelet?
What you will need:
- Friendship string in 6 different colors
How to make your friendship bracelet:
- Start off by cutting two pieces of each color string. I cut mine about an arm-and-a-half length. Then tie all strings together at one end, while leaving enough string at the top to tie your bracelet to your wrist when done.
- Separate your strings using a mirror-image pattern so the two outside strings are the same color and so on going inwards.
- Starting with the left outer string, tie a knot on the string the second from the left. Make a ninety-degree angle with the outer string over top of the string you are tying it to. Then loop the outer string underneath the other string and pull tight. Do this twice.
- Once you have double knotted the outer left string to the one next to it, do the same thing to the next string. Continue doing this until you get to the middle. Note: The string you began tying with (the outer-most left string) should now be in the middle.
- Repeat this same process for the right side until your outer-most right string is in the middle.
- Tie the middle two strands (it doesn’t matter which string is on top for this knot) and make a double knot.
- Continue this pattern until your bracelet reaches the desired length.
- Tie a knot at the end of the bracelet and use the leftover string to tie the bracelet onto the wrist of a friend!
Friendship is one of the greatest gifts that God has given us. Even Jesus didn’t walk around by Himself when He was here on Earth. This may be a season for you where you have plenty of friends, or this may be a season for you where your friends are far away. Or maybe you are hoping to make friends soon. Whatever season you are in, God calls us to choose our friends carefully. Proverbs 12:26 says “the righteous choose their friends wisely, but the way of the wicked leads them astray”.
Think of the friends you have in your life right now and answer these questions:
- Do my friends help me to grow closer to Christ?
- Do my friends encourage me to do the right thing?
- Do my friends help me to be the best me that I can be?
The friends we choose will influence our thoughts and actions (1 Corinthians 15:33). That’s why it’s important to pray for and find good friends. And remember, the best way to find good friends, is to be a good friend! Proverbs 27:17 says “as iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another”. Give this friendship bracelet to someone who you can answer “yes” to about the questions above. Or pray over the friendship bracelet that God will send you someone that you can answer “yes” to the three questions about. When you give the friendship bracelet out, offer some encouragement to your friend! Tell them how thankful you are for them!