Camp is officially in full swing, which means that skills are officially running at all of our locations! This week we got to visit WinShape Camps for Communities at Cobb to see what fun they were up to.
Between afternoons at the lake, mornings in worship and Chick-Fil-A at lunchtime, we knew there was much to experience while we were there. Let’s just say, the sights, sounds and smells of WSC at Cobb did not disappoint!
Before heading out, we stopped by a few skills and made the trek over to Clay’s Cabin.
The walls were adorned with paintings, drawings and even hanging sculptures! Campers unleashed their creativity as soft acoustic music played throughout the cabin. One of the crafts that caught our eyes was this small hanging canvas. Each held a different painting in the middle unique to each camper’s design.
The scent of charred wood filled the cabin as counselors etched camper-designed patterns along the edges of the wood frames.
We couldn’t help but get a little crafty alongside the campers and make our very own as well.
We gathered our materials
Got creative with our design
And hung ours on the wall alongside the rest of the masterpieces in Clay’s Cabin!
Here’s how to make it:
- Start with a small square piece of canvas fabric (5x5in)
- Using a pencil, trace the perimeter of the embroidery hoop onto the fabric
- Sketch your design
- Paint your design and set aside to dry
- Using a pencil, sketch a pattern on the edge of your embroidery hoop
- Wood burn the pattern onto the rim of the hoop using a wood burning tool like this one
- Once the painted fabric is dry, remove the center hoop from the embroidery hoop and place fabric swatch in the center of the frame
- Arrange the outer hoop to line up with the traced circle on your fabric and tighten the embroidery hoop until the fabric swatch is secure
- Cut loose edges of fabric
- Attach yarn or thread to the screw at the top of your embroidery hoop
- Hang your artwork somewhere visible for everyone to see!
For more fun activities and ways you and your family can bring camp home, follow us on Pinterest!