As someone who daily sports an arm filled with bracelets, I am constantly bombarded with questions about the origins of each one. Whether it is one that I got from a friend or obtained through travels, each bracelet carries its own special story. The depth and passion by which I share these stories depends greatly on the history of the bracelet itself.
This little bracelet, with just five colored beads, carries its own special story as well. But the depth of its meaning far exceeds any other bracelet I own; it represents the story of my salvation.
Each color bead represents a special part in the story of the Gospel, and can be used to help share the story of God’s Salvation with others.
- Yellow: represents Heaven. Ultimately God’s plan for His people is to be in a perfect relationship with Him in His Kingdom forever. God did everything He could to make sure this was possible, even when were separated from Him because of sin.
- Black: represents our sin. Sin is anything we think, say, or do that disappoint God and break His law. Sin is what separates us from God because it is so opposite of His perfect nature. Because each person has sin, we cannot be with God without his help.
- Red: represents Jesus’ blood that was shed on the cross 2000 years ago. In order to fix the broken relationship between God and His people, God sent His one and only son to earth in the form of a human to die for the sins of every person in the world. When Jesus died on the cross, He took the punishment for the sins of every human who has ever lived and ever will live, and fixed our relationship with God forever.
- White: represents eternal life. When Jesus took our punishment, He didn’t just die — He came back to life! Jesus defeated death and sin and offers us the same chance to live with Him in eternal life, or forever life, with God! By defeating our sins, Jesus fixed the broken relationship between God and His people and has replaced it with the chance for us to be with Him forever.
- Green: represents growth and life. Once we know about what Jesus did for us, we have the chance to respond and grow close to God by choosing to follow Him. When we believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross and came back to life, we get to receive the gift of eternal life with God. Luckily for us, this “forever life” with God doesn’t just start when we live with Him in Heaven; it can start today! Forever life with God means that we get to live each day with Him in our hearts. All of the peace, joy, love and comfort from God is available to us every single day of our lives once we choose to believe in what He has done for us!
How to make it:
- Cut small string long enough to wrap around your wrist
- Tie a knot, just about ⅓ into the bracelet
- Begin threading beads. (This is a great opportunity to share the meaning behind each bead with your children or whomever you are making the bracelet with)
- Tie a second knot at the other ⅓ of the bracelet, to secure the beads in place.
- Tie bracelet and share the story with others!